5 Must-Have Widgets in Craft CMSJuly 2, 2017
First and foremost, it is important to note that this article applies to Digistorm schools with a website who have had their Google Analytics account integrated with their Content Management System (CMS), Craft.
For those of you who have connected your Google Analytics account, it’s time to have some fun! Your Craft dashboard gives you the opportunity to create a series of reports that give you a quick view of your website’s performance, as soon as you login. You have a number of options for displaying data, so we’re going to cover five of our favourite widgets to add to your dashboard.
Here is one we prepared earlier. The settings cog in the top right hand corner contains buttons to the right of each widget which allow you to change the size of widgets, reorder them or remove them.
You can add a new widget by clicking the ‘+ New widget’ button on the top right.
‘Analytics Real-Time’ is the widget you can see which tells you how many active visitors there currently are on your website.
Click ‘Analytics Report’ to create a new reporting widget for your dashboard. You’ll see a new window appear.
You can use the icons at the top to select the type of chart you’d like to see.
- Line chart
- Pie Chart
- World Map
You can select the time period for your report.
Once you’ve selected your chart type, the ‘Metric’ drop-down will be populated with the available or appropriate statistics for that chart.
Here are our 5 top widgets for your Craft dashboard
- Sessions over the last week: select the line chart icon, week as the period and Sessions as the metric. This will allow you to monitor any changes in traffic and understand which days of the week have the most sessions
- Conversions over the last week: if your website’s call to action is to complete a form or enroll online, you can set these actions up as a conversion. Select the line chart icon, week as the period and Conversions as the metric. This will allow you to see conversion trends throughout the week.
- New visitors vs. Returning visitors: select the pie chart icon, week as the period and New Users as the metric. This will give you an idea of the percentage of your website visitors who are new to your website or who are returning.
- Source/medium: select the list icon, week as the period and Sessions as the metric. This will give you an overview of where your website traffic is coming from.
- How many people are currently on your site: simply click the ‘Analytics Real-Time’ option in the ‘+ New Widget’ drop down and you’ll be able to see how many people are on your site at any given time.
If you'd like to learn more about Digistorm Websites, contact us today.